Friday, April 16, 2010

More than a Religion


It's time to talk religion. I hesitate to use the term religion because I have no faith in an institution; I have have faith in my God. The traditional sense of this word deters people away; they think, oh, well I've tried that [religion] and it wasn't for me. But really, it's not about you trying to be religious in your own strength. You can't put trust in your own abilities to get saved. If that were the case, we wouldn't need a Savior because we would be sinless and perfect. That's what's so wonderful about my God. He sent his only begotten Son to die for the sins of the world. He died on the cross for me! two thousand years in advance. He died for us all. He paid the price in full. In other words, there is nothing I can do to try and earn my way to Heaven. It is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ that we have access to the gift of salvation and eternal life in Heaven.

I learn more and more about my God each day. At the same time, I am also for understanding the beliefs of others. This week, my understanding of the Jewish faith has increased dramatically. Last Sunday, a Christian Jew came to preach at our church. Before you get confused, I must explain that he is a born again Christian, a believer in Christ. However, he is Jewish by ethnicity. He was raised in a Jewish family in New York, New York. But to him in his teen years, religion meant nothing. He had his barmitsfa and knew of the Jewish doctrine.

From my understanding, the primary difference between Judaism and Christianity is that the Jewish only accept the Old Testament. They do not believe that the Messiah has come yet. Thus, they reject the New Testament.

Back to the story. When this man was a practicing lawyer in downtown NYC, he accepted Christ as his Messiah and became a Christian. Since then, he changed his profession. No longer a lawyer, he is now a missionary to the Jews.

This man was an eloquent speaker; as he spoke before our congregation, I was intensely intrigued. The Lord saved him and it was so neat to see the man using the talents God gave him to glorify the Savior!

So last night when I was sitting in the kitchen during my baby-sitting interview, I felt more knowledgeable about Israel and Judaism. I was very thankful for my chance to learn. I believe that in order to validate our speech, our perceptions, and our thoughts regarding ourselves in relation to the world, we must take the time to understand each other first. It totally helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment