
Just as the word suggests, cultural norms are normal. It is not uncommon that every culture around the world adheres to a unique set of mannerisms and customs by which they define "normal". The fascinating part come when cultural norms clash in each others' faces. This can either be very funny, or very offensive. It depends on what customs are clashing.
But sometimes, individual within their own culture rebel, or break free from the norms of their society. The connotation of this action sounds worthy of punishment. But what if breaking free from the mold is a good thing, and those adhering to the mold are the ones who should be subject to punishment? Just a thought.
In light of the holiday season, and my last blog post, I've been thinking. Their are many North American cultural norms associated with Christmas that were not always so. Over the years, little changes compiled to where we are today. And where we are today is much different than the first Christmas over 2000 years ago, away in the manger.
Although I could go on about numerous cultural norms, I have decided to focus on the big guy: Santa, also known as: http://www.christmas-day.org/multiculturism-santas.html.
The whole concept of Santa Claus is a lie. But what do you do? If you tell your kids there is no Santa Claus, they might tell their playmates. Then, one of two things might happen: 1)that kid will cry because there is "no Santa Claus, (crying)" or, 2) your kid starts crying because Santa Claus visited every house with presents except theirs.
As a future parent, I can't decide: Should I go along with the whole Santa thing, or stay true to the Truth? I'm not sure yet. Is this one cultural norm that I will break? That you will break? That we should break???
Do you think "so, so, so? Merry Christmas!"
*Image courtesy of: http://www.nicewallpapers.info/pics/misc/Christmas/Christmas_51.jpg.
No comments:
Post a Comment