Thursday, December 3, 2009

Traditional, Tasty Temptations

It's great to be back blogging. I haven't for a few weeks, and much has happened since. The greatest advancement from the interim between the last post and this one is the highly celebrated movement towards the holiday season. Thanksgiving is now long and gone. For my family, this is the benchmark to Christmas. Over Thanksgiving break, I slept a lot. And the funny thing is, I never felt rested. How does that feel? I can't remember. I digress. Anyways, one unprecedented event took place on Turkey Thursday: we hosted the dinner at our house! It was amazing. Never before has our family been responsible for such a momentous responsibility of this sort. This was especially quite the undertaking for my mom. If you knew her, this would make sense. I will enlighten you sense you probably don't. My mom has the infamous, or maybe famous, title as a sub par cook. I can recall numerous cooking incidents for evidential support. I suppose I will share a recent few.

Story1: When she was cooking a rice and chicken dish, my first bite was more than fresh....it was raw. That's right. The chicken was still pink, practically bock'n (like some guys' steak moos). Needless to say, I ate the rice, not the chicken.

Story 2: More recently, my friend and I made cookies inherit of heavenly dough. It was actually a cake mix altered to make cookies. My friend had never had them before; I was anxious to amaze her. All was going well. We put them in the oven, set the timer, and headed downstairs to play ping pong. And that is when disaster evolved. My mom, in charge of taking the cookies out of the oven, some how didn't register the ringing of the timer with her cookie task. A half hour later, my friend and I joyously traversed the stairs back to the kitchen. (I school her in ping pong, by the way). What we found, or rather what we didn't find, were the cookies. Turning to Mom, her countenance said it all. She forgot. We ran to the oven, opened the door, and gaped in awe of the bricks we had made. I things for certain, my masonic, brick laying uncle in Dallas would have been proud. I half joked about sending the "bricks" to him for his next construction project. Hey, if he, desperate and hungry, wanted a snack......he'd have that to.

Okay, back the point. She's not the next Food Network Star. Bless her heart. But without hesitation she accepted the task of making the Thanksgiving dinner, turkey and all. The only one secretly trembling in hesitation was me. Fortunately, for my family and I, no one went hungry; I left in pain saying, "I can't believe I ate the whoooooole thing!"

So why, with such a blog as this is, would I carry to comment on the occasion? Simple. As I ate lavishly during this holiday season, I wondered what foods other holidays evoke. Do other holidays been gaining weight? Do they cook healthy foods? Have I ever had a traditional dish of another holiday without knowing so? Who does the cooking in other countries? For answers I turned to the wonderful web. I soon found what I was looking for. Amen to quick answers. Care to take a look?!.... http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_12_64/ai_94327703/

No comments:

Post a Comment