Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tomorrow, I love ya

Last Saturday evening I had the opportunity to attend a wonderful theater production. It was a musical of the ever popular Annie. My grandma invited my cousins and I to go see the program together, sort of as an early Christmas present. During the weeks leading up to Saturday, my anticipation enhanced with everyone I talked to.

While in the bathroom at church, as we girls like to prep and primp for any and every occasion, one of the ladies hollered over the stall, "Have you ever seen the movie Annie?" Within a split second I realized the context behind her question. She probably had just seen the theater production I was planning to attend. So I responded, once she was beside me at the sink, "Did you just see the theater production of Annie?"

"Yes, I did and it was great, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

She couldn't stop talking about the show. This did one of two things for me: 1)it made me late for the church service and, 2) My excitement for seeing the production myself only intensified...oh and three 3) This lady likes to talk. (All right, so #3 was no mystery, no new-found truth, but a fact worthy of reiterating for times sake).

Days passed, and then it was finally my turn to see for myself. Was the show going to be all that it was hyped up to be? My the looks and sounds of it, the lobby said it all. It was Saturday evening, about 10 minutes before the show was to start, when our clan of cousins (plus Grandma) squeezed our way through the masses of people. We made it to our seats, all in due time, and sat amazed by the volume of the crowd. Grandma told me the producers decided to add two additional showings to the schedule because the show was receiving such rousing reviews. In fact, Grandma couldn't even get tickets at first. Her success came only after they added the additional shows. We attend the very last show of the production, and sat in the very last row of the auditorium. (I guess I could call it that, but really it was an old theater/skating rink/dance studio that was transformed into the city theater after the original site was washed away in the flood. They said the new theater would open during the latter part of this winter; I was thrilled, as always, when I hear about companies reopening after the devastation our town endured a year and a half ago.)

And the moment I had been waiting for.....drum role please....."Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, sit back and relax as this production of Annie will begin riiiiiight noooow!"

The lights dimmed, the orchestra began, and the actors entered the stage. Hooray!

Since I am not a football play by play reporter, I will skip to my reviews. It was good. Not great. But don't get me wrong; I still gave the cast a standing ovation. The little girl who played Annie was amazing though. My favorite actor was the butler, and the cutest orphan was the tiny brunette.

As corny as this may sound, Annie never ceases to inspire me. I can't imagine living my childhood years in an orphanage, having no place to call home, having no one to kiss me good night, having no use to say Mom or Dad. This was true of Annie, but yet she didn't let it destroy her life. She was still as charming and cheerful as any young little girl I know.

During this holiday season, Annie reminded me of the true spirit of life. God puts things in our life for a reason. Everything happens for a reason. He allows trials enter our life so that we may draw nearer to Him, and that we may learn and grow in the knowledge and wisdom of His mighty hands. Sure, times can be tough. Some days you don't even want to get out of bed. But Annie couldn't have said it better herself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yop62wQH498

"Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow. You're only a day a way."

The sun will come up on its own. All you need is a singing heart, one with faith, hope and love. This is just one spirit that doesn't take a collision to spread. It is embedded in the hearts of all cultures because it is embedded in you just as it is in me. We have only to unlock the door and let it free.

"You're only a daaaaaaay aaaaaaaa waaaaaay."

No comments:

Post a Comment