Saturday, October 31, 2009

Here. There. Everywhere?

Happy Halloween, (to those who celebrate)!

When I was younger, October 31 was a big, fat (figuratively and literally) and important die. I loved selecting my costume each year. I have been a bunny, a princess, a rock star, a swimmer, and that is as far as I can remember back. But I was not alone. All of my friends delighted in the day. As if a competition, we all set out to obtain the most treats and the fewest tricks as possible. Pounds and pounds over the years, I'm sure, did I collect. I was pretty talented at forking in the extra 3 pieces of candy at every doorstep. But what kid wasn't? The point is Halloween is a big deal in America.

But I have to remember, just as the Fourth of July is not a worldwide celebration, neither is Halloween. Some cultures have similar festivals. In Europe, their Halloween is called the Day of the Saints. Spanish cultures celebrate the Day of the Dead. Even China has name for the holiday: wan sheng jie.

Personally, I think it would be neat to experience and observe a Western holiday in another country, a different culture. How might it change? What would remain the same? Last year, I went trick-or-treating with a Chinese foreign exchange student. She had a blast. In her city, they exchange candy, but don't dress in costume. What fun it that!? The costumes add life to the holiday. Last night I babysat for a couple invited to a Halloween party. When they returned, she told me all about the costumes. Her and her husband went as Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf. My favorite was the husband with an "E" on his shirt and his wife who had pictures paper clipped to her attire. Do you get it? He was E male and she was his attachment. Ha-ha-ha! But what might a costume be in Europe? Or what might a trick or treat constitute in Asia? Someday, I hope to find out.

Have a spooktacular day!

1 comment:

  1. I experienced 4th of July in Costa Rica. Being the tourist dominated country it is, there were fireworks...

    ReplyDelete