Sometimes the best things in life are those things that aren't planned. Speaking from experience, I relish every opportunity to have an empty day on the calendar, a day with nothing scheduled. These are the times that try one's imagination. For the first time in ages, you have time to breath, sit back, and think what do I want to do? Because I rarely have time to practice this inquiry, it is hard to come up with an answer. All the while, my car sits motionless in the third stall of my garage. For the first time in ages, it too has time to breath, park back, and think where will I be driven to next?
Time is a precious thing. Taking the time to think things through is a good thing, to an extent. Valuable moments of time elapse in your idleness, time which can never be returned to you on this mortal, celestial ball. Since I was taught never to waste anything, things or time, there is only one thing to do: circumnavigate my indecisiveness, hop in the car, and drive to who knows where. Forget about the cost of gas for once in your life and live a little.
Recalling a dream, I twisted the keys in the ignition. The engine revved up. I put it in reverse, backed out of my drive way, and proceed down the road, never looking back. I continued driving, now on a main street. Then it happened. I arrived at an intersection with three choices: left, right or straight. I looked down at the thin sheet of tree and chemicals to the words listed in pencil. Directions: Left, left, left, right, straight, straight, right, right, left, straight, right. Destination: TBD. Looks like I was going to take a left.
For about a half hour I turned according to these directions. I was traveling down streets I had never once driven on. I loved every minute of it. The whole time, my anticipation grew. I was anxious and excited. I looked down again to reference the tree. Right. It was the last turn. With two hands on the wheel, I rounded the turn 90 degrees clockwise. I was finally there. I had arrived. Destination: the cutest little thrift store in town. I parked my car, removed the keys from the ignition, unfastened my seat belt, opened the door, and walked in. My journey: complete and total bliss.
What a wonderful dream. Someday, I hope I get the chance to fulfill such a quest because:
A journey to nowhere,
is a journey to somewhere.
But where????
I don't even care.
As long as get there,
while I still have hair,
that will fair.
Lest I forget to share,
I will do it a pair.
A journey to nowhere,
is a journey to somewhere.
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
LOVE it. For a second I actually thought you did do this "bliss" trip. Then I realized it was a dream...
ReplyDeleteWe should totally do this sometime.