Last week in AP US history, the formation of the Bill of Rights was under discussion. I was surprised to find our Constitution hadn't encompassed these seemingly inalienable rights from its original draft. In fact, these first 10 amendments were the result of compromise; they served as a tool to meet ratification amongst the people. As I sat there in this early morning class, I was thankful that our first generation citizens held this as a contingency. Fathoming life without these 10 at my side is nearly impossible. For others around the world, this is not a nightmare of one's imagination. It's reality, it's life.
All around the world, these seemingly inalienable rights have been denied to millions. As an American, the Bill of Rights grants me:
1) Freedom of religion, speech, press, right to assemble, and right to petition
2) Right to keep and bear arms
3) Protection from quartering troops
4) Protection from unreasonable search and seizure
5) Due process and protection from double jeopardy, self-incrimination, and eminent domain
6) The right to a speedy trial by jury and rights if accused
7) Civil trial by jury if $20 is exceeded
8) Protection from excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishment
9) Protection of implied rights not expressed
10) Powers of states and people
It is humbling to know other's just as deserving as I will never attain such as status. With this in mind, a tree of pride blossoms from within. Citizenship to a country of such integrity is invaluable. I am thankful, but not as much as I should be. Like many things, I take such privileges for granted. Just the other day, was remained of those less fortunate.
It was 3:03 pm. I was stretching on-deck before swim practice when my swim coach told me about one of the foreign exchange students at our school. The student was from Bethlehem, however, not a Jew. Because of where he lives and who he is in the context of his setting, the student had to pay extreme attention to his dress. He could not walk out of his house without the slightest concern as to what he was wearing. Such action was detrimental to his health. The student, as radical as it seems, explained how failure to dress properly would result in certain death. In fact, his best friend was killed for this reason. KILLED! for what he was (or wasn't) wearing! I can't imagine a similar scenario in the States, let alone our school. If violating our school dress code constituted death, our student body would be cut in half.
This just goes to show that the diversity of human existence. We are fortunate to live a relatively comfortable lifestyle. We must be thankful for our predicament, but also remain informed of our freedoms from a global perspective. Our hearts shall go to those whose liberties are shackled. They are deserving of our prayers. With faith, hope abounds. Perhaps our culture will collide with these oppressive cultures to awaken their conscience and free our brothers and sisters from bondage. We are all equal in God's eyes; its time the laws reflected likewise.
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Every single one of your blog posts amazes me. Most people just ramble on about things, occasionally having a central theme, but mostly rambling.
ReplyDeleteAll of your posts seems so...so...good. The educated diction and concise ideas are excellent (And yet, still very entertaining to read). This blog should really be coming from a college professor.
i'm glad i'm not the only person who has formed this opinion!
ReplyDeleteyour blog is so thought provoking and purpose-driven.
Michael J Makes my point for me, I am just voicing my agreement.