Someone once told me to embrace the trials that enter your life. They teach you a lot about yourself and can bring about unexpected blessings. This very truth has already begun to surface through Earthquake Haiti. The devastation this 7 pointer wrought on already one of the most impoverished countries in the world has billions around the world watching, waiting, praying. All hearts are broken. It's one of those times when all hearts are also in sync. From America to Australia we sympathize with one heart, one beat. Very rarely in time does the peoples of the world come together in peace with a common burden or goal. In any other posting, I'd reference this as a massive cultural collision. But in this case, I think it better to describe this precious phenomenon as Cultural Compassion, or all-the-Cardinals Caring. From the North, South, East, West, we all have come together to help our fellow brothers and sisters in Haiti. It's as if everything is put on hold: wars, disputes, hatred. In its stead, the spirit of the human race takes charge, dissolving the lines that normally divide us apart.
This holds true even within countries. I was watching the live presidential announcement this morning when President Obama introduced the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund. To find out more about the effort or make a donation, follow this link:
http://www.clintonbushhaitifund.org/
A thought crossed my mind as I watched the flat screen before me. Never before had I seen former presidents initiating public service with the current president. I think their actions speak volume, especially since they represent different parties and not long ago, campaigned against once another. However together, they have put their differences aside to help a nation on their knees. It's moments like this that further assert my pride as an American. And it's trials like these that, despite the devastation that had to take place for this unity to surface, I am proud to be a runner in the human race.
Saturday, January 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment