
With the coming of a new year and the next decade, the word "Resolutions" comes to mind. I am sure I am not the only one. New Year's Resolutions have somewhat made their place in pop culture. Almost everyone tries to come up with some, only to succeed for a few weeks, maybe months, before they slip into the norm. This year, someone wrote an editorial on the subject. He suggested that making a New Year's Resolution was pointless because they are setups for failure. Rather, he advised readers to simply make resolutions whenever, not just as the ball drops in Times Square. That way you are setting a goal for the goal's sake, and not the New Year's. While he did paint a valid picture, I have heard from numerous people who, after reading the editorial, didn't make a resolution...and I don't think they will until the next blue moon.
In a way, the editorial was somewhat discouraging. So I draw to my own experience for encouragement. Three ball drops ago, I was at my friends house when we all made New Year's Resolutions. Each of us wrote them down on a piece of paper, and prettied the list with marker drawings. It was, I must say, a masterpiece. Sad to say, that pretty paper is long gone, but my resolutions have remained. In fact, I was resolved to stop drinking pop, and since then, I haven't!
I will admit, not all resolutions have the same lasting results. But the concept is solid. What better way to start the new year. And even if only for a couple months, think how much positive change takes place across the globe. Every culture has their own aspirations and resolutions. The New Year simply allows them to surface.
So....even if you haven't done so yet....the year is still new. Make a resolution. Chase a dream.
In a way, the editorial was somewhat discouraging. So I draw to my own experience for encouragement. Three ball drops ago, I was at my friends house when we all made New Year's Resolutions. Each of us wrote them down on a piece of paper, and prettied the list with marker drawings. It was, I must say, a masterpiece. Sad to say, that pretty paper is long gone, but my resolutions have remained. In fact, I was resolved to stop drinking pop, and since then, I haven't!
I will admit, not all resolutions have the same lasting results. But the concept is solid. What better way to start the new year. And even if only for a couple months, think how much positive change takes place across the globe. Every culture has their own aspirations and resolutions. The New Year simply allows them to surface.
So....even if you haven't done so yet....the year is still new. Make a resolution. Chase a dream.
*Image courtesy of Planet Chiropractic.com
My editorial was discouraging? I think it was more encouraging than not. People don't need an excuse to make their lives better, they just need a desire. I understand the novelty of NEW YEARS resolutions, and how they at least make you THINK about changing your life style. But the fact is, they do not work for a lot of people. Yes, a select few (say, the top of their high school class?) will be able to realize their resolutions, but many will not.
ReplyDeleteAnd secondly, when did I ever "advise readers to make resolutions whenever"? I didn't. This is libel and you will be hearing from my lawyer within a week. I gave situations when you should make a resolution (when you want to be happier, when you want to be healthier, etc). Never did I say, "make a resolution whenever."
Somebody's sensitive...
ReplyDelete