Friday, March 12, 2010

The Google Generation

I am currently doing a lot of research on what is called the "Google Generation." This phrase is used to characterize the generation of young people whose first port of call is the Internet. They have little or no recollection of life before the Internet. Most mark the beginning of the generation with the year 1993.

I have found more information than I ever thought possible on the subject. What makes it so interesting is the unknown factor. The topic is so current and widespread that it provokes excitement and fear even when I read what other's have to say on the subject. I am apart of the Google generation, and I will live in the future that our generation will be held responsible for.

What I found particularly interesting are those who suggest our generation thinks, reads, focuses, communicates, researchers differently. It's hard for me to say what I think about those who claim our brains are changing, but I do without doubt agree that our generation is different than our parents' generation. What's really interesting is then to compound these suggestions with further implications of such suggestions. Like how this will affect our future, will it be the death or rebirth of human capabilities. Seeing as the technological realm of communication and knowledge transfer is a high speed industry that continuously revolutionizes, what will it be like in 2020? Today, parents worry about our use of technology 24/7 - iPods, cell phones, laptops, Internet. What new creations will I be worrying about when I parent my children! I ended that sentence with an exclamation and not a question mark because there is no answer. We don't know what the future holds. It's a mystery. But like any good mystery, you don't find out until the end, once everything is said and done, whether the outcome is positive or negative.

The Google Generation.............only time will tell with certainty.
*Image from Mail Online

No comments:

Post a Comment