Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Heart's Compass

A break from the seriousness of past posts, when I think about direction in the most literal of senses, I think of a compass. Sadly, I will admit that I have only used such an instrument a handful of times. Quite honestly, I don't know if I would trust myself with one if I was lost in the woods and my life depended on it. I recall one instance in middle school.

It was a social studies project. We were divided up into groups, each with a map and a compass. Our goal was to be the first to arrive at the designated destination...let's just say our group never found the X of the map. For all we know, the "buried treasure" may still be waiting for us. This brings me to another thought. My group was entirely female. I dislike generalizations, but I have found females to be more directionally challenged than males. I don't understand why. Males can give you cardinal directions---go north, head south. Females use landmarks and the old take a left, take a right concept. Personally, I fit the trend. However, my goal this year is to break the trend for myself. It looks hopeful. I am already seizing progress towards this goal, slipping in the occasional cardinal reference in driver conversation.

For those who can relate to my thinking and abilities, I challenge you to go out on a limb. Its a great excuse to guzzle gas. But if you are going to go to the trouble of breaking one trend, be sure to stay true at least one: if you get lost, don't be afraid to ask for directions. If worst comes to shove, do as the underground railroad passengers did: follow the stars, the northern tree moss, and above all, your heart. If you listen closely, its beating will synchronize to the tread of your foot along a beautiful path, the journey of life. Its zizzags. It curves. It winds. It unwinds. But above all, it guides.

No comments:

Post a Comment