Thus far I have referred to the act of cardinal collisions as a collective event between societies of vast people. The parameters are much wider than this. Cardinal collision can take place in the lives and experiences of individuals. One person can collide with another person, principle, place, or people group completely on their own. Such experiences may contribute to a greater enlightenment or impact in one's life. For this reason, I relish all opportunities to enrich my human experience through cardinal collisions. The opportunities to realize such priceless moments of personal awakening are often quite expensive. This sounds contradictory, but I can explain.
My ultimate dream is to travel the world. I have always had a heart for exploration, to see new things, and visit crazy places. Unfortunately, the map in my car rarely escapes the gloove compartment because of one restraint: money. If I wanted to embark on all my dream trips, I'd have to drop out of school to enroll in a full time job. Still, I'd go bankrupt. Despite this depression, I envision myself around the world in my dreams.
As a world traveler, I hope to set foot on all seven of the continents. I guess you would say it's on my bucket list. I am 29% of the way thus far. Two of the seven already have checkmarks: North America and China.
The obvious vacation destination is North America. As an inhabitant of the continent, I have had the opportunity to explore many states of the union. I have been to Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, Texas, Florida, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, California, Indiana, and North Carolina. In regards to states visited, my number one source of information is an old neighnor of mine. Dick was a widow, old and cute for his elderly age. Located above his washer machine in the laundry room of his house hung a map of the United States. But this was no ordinary map. Every state, all 50 of them had bright colored tacks pierced through each state. Some even had more than one tack in a state. So I asked, "Why the tacks?" He explained to me that each tack represented a time he visited the state in which the tack was stuck in. In other words, Dick, had transeversed the country vertically and horizontally. I was jealous, but inspired nonetheless. Someday I hope to do laundry in the wake of a background display identical to Dick's.
Until then, I relish and remember all my travels. For some people, they recollect a trip no further than their departure to return date. This is not the case for me. In fact, far from it. I love to reminess about past travels with family and friends alike. To retell a story from another location is a testimony to the trip. Ask me about any one of my travels and I could tell you a story and my favorite part. Ask me about a favorable, more memorable trip, I would talk your ear off all through the day and night. I can only follow this statement of truth with one word: China.
Over the past summer, I had the rare opportunity of touring the Asian continent. For 13 days, I lived in China. I went with 7 other Chinese students in my high school language class. Its hard to articulate the profound implications and influence this travel had on my life. I could literally blog forever on this subject. In fact, this trip inspired my blog to gravitate towards the "Cardinal Collision" theme. For this reason, I plan to interweave my Chinese experiences throughout the exent of my blogs.
My trip to China was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I only hope the "once in a lifetime" part falls through; I would love to revisit the marvelous home of the world's population. From cultural interactions, a friendly cardinal collision, both I and the beautiful people I tower over in stature benefit. Travels unify the world and advance the human experience. If only such advancements were, as Mastercard would say, priceless. It's time to start flipp'n burgers!
Monday, September 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment